Saturday, April 08, 2006

An understanding takes time

In my post Do we need a definition ? the conclusion was no, we need an understanding.
An understanding takes time. Understanding needs exploration, thus time. If it is new to you, you demand a defintion, even if it doesn't makes sense to you. Then maybe you'll embark on a journey to understand. So here is my definition of Knowledge Management.

Knowledge Management or KM is the art of continuously transforming knowledge into action towards a specific purpose.

I bet you are thinking "hhhmmm.... yeah sure...ok" and not "aha that's great..thanks".
So lets us embark on that journey to understand. We don't have to go into managment, I'll assume we all have the same understanding. (hhhmm.. do we ?.. I'm not sure). So what is this stuff "knowledge" that we are managing ? What's the definition ? (here we go again..).
Lets see what great thinkers have to say.
‘Information is not knowledge.’ - Albert Einstein
' If it has no brain it has no knowledge' - Kevin Mol
There are lots of beautiful quotes on knowledge. I picked these two because they relate best to a useful definition of knowledge by prof.dr.ir. Weggeman.

K = f(I*ESA)

Knowledge can be seen as a function of Information, Experience, Skills and Attitude.

What I like about this definiton is that it's easy to remember and it has all the crusial elements I think are necessary to come to an understanding....

1. the human element, ESA
2. the information technogly element, I
3. the mystic element, f( * )

... but to get there will take time.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I see "KM" I immediately see my own initials! Or yours.. A nice surprise to relate my initials now to Knowledge Management. X

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home