Sunday, December 09, 2007

Beyond Folksonomy

What is the problem with Taxonomies, classifications or meta-data?
The creation and maintenance of it is to slow. The world is changing, views are changing and views on views are changing. There is also a mass of data and information created each day even in a confined space like a company. So what to do ?

About 5 years ago, as being the Enterprise Application Architect, I was asked to make the Enterprise Architecture rules and guidelines. More specifically the business, application and data rules and guidelines. I ran to an argument with my boss and collegues on one of the data architectural guidelines. My boss had initially written the data architectural guidelines and guideline number 1 stated "single point of truth"and 2 on meta-data the phrase "unambiguous".
I wasn't happy with these guidelines. "Who is going to determine what is unambiguous and where should the single point of truth of all data be stored in a large international corporation?", I asked . "We, the architects, will was the answer."
"Impossible" I said, to much information and increasing fast. Too many view points and ever increasing complexity.

My suggestion was "Marketsonomy", a sound-bite I invented on the spot to express what I was thinking of. Let a market mechanism decide what decide which source is the best. Let a market mechanism define the meta-data. My collegues always found me a bit curious but this time they though I was off my rockers.
But I was serious, let action and the bulk of the action define what was wrong or right at a certain point in time. Yes, data interpretation would be in flux and not fixed. But I grantee you it would be closer to the "truth" and faster then categories defined by architects sitting in a isolated head office !

Wikipedia states, "Folksonomy (also known as collaborative tagging , social classification, social indexing, social tagging, and other names) is the practice and method of collaboratively creating and managing tags to annotate and categorize content. In contrast to traditional subject indexing, metadata is not only generated by experts but also by creators and consumers of the content. Usually, freely chosen keywords are used instead of a controlled vocabulary.[1]"

At that time folksonomy wasn't very well known, and certainly not recognized as a successful way to classify data. With Folksonomy the keywords are "collaborative" and "social" which is close to a Market Mechanism.
Marketsonomy adds to that a weighing element in the form of competition. It's different then a tag cloud but more like a bidding system, stock market, Googles search philosophy or game with stakes. "Let the crowd decide I say !"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home